Laying the Foundations for Children to Thrive
Telephone: 0161 921 1200 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Grosvenor Road Primary School | Parkgate Drive | Swinton | Manchester | M27 5LN
Using the internet safely
Using the internet has become a really fun way of keeping in touch with friends and family.
There are lots of ways of doing this including IM, chat rooms, and through playing games and writing blogs. Mobile phones and tablets are really popular and easy to use. There are so many things you can do on mobile phones that you couldn’t do only a year or so ago!
We have added some links on this page which help you and your child to understand about how to use the internet and mobile phones safely.
The use of these new technologies can put young children at risk. Some of the dangers they may face include:
- Access to illegal, harmful or inappropriate images or other content
- Unauthorised access to / loss of / sharing of personal information
- The risk of being subject to grooming by those with whom they make contact on the internet.
- The sharing / distribution of personal images without an individual's consent or knowledge
- Inappropriate communication / contact with others, including strangers
- Access to unsuitable video / internet games
- An inability to evaluate the quality, accuracy and relevance of information on the internet
- Plagiarism and copyright infringement
- Illegal downloading of music or video files
- The potential for excessive use which may impact on the social and emotional development and learning of the young person
As with all other risks, it is impossible to eliminate them completely. It is therefore essential, through good educational provision, to build pupils’ resilience to the risks to which they may be exposed, so that they have the confidence and skills to face and deal with these risks. At Grosvenor Road Primary School, e-safety is a part of the curriculum.